Welcome to the Jordan Tailored Book Club! I have been dreaming of doing this for years, and I finally just decided to go for it this summer! Reading is fun and all, but reading in community is what truly makes reading joyful. We have the shared experience of reading something together and then getting to connect over what we loved, didn’t love, and everything in between. My hope for this mini book club is that we get to read wonderful books and connect with new friends!
Poppy and Alex. Alex and Poppy. They have nothing in common. She’s a wild child; he wears khakis. She has an insatiable wanderlust; he prefers to stay home with a book. And somehow, ever since a fateful car share home from college many years ago, they are the very best of friends. For most of the year they live far apart—she’s in New York City, and he’s in their small hometown—but every summer, for a decade, they have taken one glorious week of vacation together.
Until two years ago, when they ruined everything. They haven’t spoken since.
Poppy has everything she should want, but she’s stuck in a rut. When someone asks when she was last truly happy, she knows, without a doubt, it was on that ill-fated, final trip with Alex. And so, she decides to convince her best friend to take one more vacation together—lay everything on the table, make it all right. Miraculously, he agrees.
Now she has a week to fix everything. If only she can get around the one big truth that has always stood quietly in the middle of their seemingly perfect relationship. What could possibly go wrong?
From the New York Times bestselling author of Beach Read, a sparkling new novel that will leave you with the warm, hazy afterglow usually reserved for the best vacations.
Sounds amazing, right?!
Stay tuned for spoilers ahead – if you haven’t read the book yet, now is the time to stop and pick it up so you can come back and share your thoughts with us, too!
Now let’s get started! Answer any/all of the questions below with your thoughts and then start responding to others
1. What was your very favorite part of this book?
2. Did you have a least favorite part? Maybe it was an unexpected or hard-to-believe plot point?
3. When they first meet, Alex and Poppy are immediately put off by each other – have you ever made a friend after a bad impression?
4. Which of Poppy and Alex’s vacations would you most like to tag along for? Was there one that you’d rather pass on?
5. What’s something you do on vacation that you’re unlikely to do in daily life? Is there a certain comfort in anonymity?
6. What’s your worst vacation memory?
7. Why do you think it took so long for Poppy and Alex to finally express their feelings for one another?
8. What did you think about the ending? Are Poppy and Alex in it for the long haul? Will they stay in New York or eventually move back full time to Ohio?